Canada Day - Public Event
Whistler Olympic Park, British Columbia
Mobile TV truck supplying iMag and audio-video recording
10Eighty Production Technologies
7 consecutive years producing the live, in-venue broadcast of Canada Day, Whistler’s top-rated summer concert with 6,000 spectators
Our client was looking to create a TV-show-style production of their annual live Vancouver Symphony Orchestra concert as part of Canada Day celebrations. They hired MESH to work with the technical producer (10Eighty Production Technologies) to produce graphics, deliver image magnification broadcast to large-format LED walls within the venue. They wanted a feeling of intimacy for the 6,000 seated spectators at Whistler Olympic Plaza.
- Capture up to 65 musicians on a large stage without getting in the way
- Follow cues from a musical director to ensure cameras captured the musicians at the right time
- Create a TV show-style broadcast for the audience, complete with graphics and close-up shots, giving the feeling of being right on stage with the orchestra
- Record the true sound of 65 musicians playing together in a large outdoor setting
- Supplying three engineered cameras with operators, 1 pan/tilt/zoom robotic camera and 3 point-of-view (POV) cameras
- Strategically placing a mix of engineered, POV and robotic cameras on stage to capture several different angles of the show
- Discreetly positioning cameras and operators on stage to capture the best shots without distracting the audience
- Maintaining constant coordination with the stage manager, production manager and musical director for the duration of the performance
For 7 consecutive years, MESH delivered a high-quality TV show-style in-venue broadcast to thousands of spectators, often over 2 to 3 days. We created a feeling of intimacy with the performers by capturing small details and instruments. This annual series of events are attended by some of the largest crowds at Whistler Olympic Plaza, and receives the top rating in Tourism Whistler guest surveys.